1. Powerade is a scientifically formulated sports drink
2. It not only quenches your thirst but also replenishes lost fluid and electrolytes in the body after exercise or any physical activity
3. Fluid replacement is important as it compensates for those which are lost during perspiration or sweating (specially for athletes like us)
4. It’s just 84 calories per (250 mL) serving unlike other sugared drinks which people consume when they are at the gym or when in sports Powerade is a Global brand from the Coca-Cola Company
5. It is made by the Coca-Cola company and is the official sports drink of the Olympic Games and the official hydrators of the 2010 FIFA World Cup
6. Available in three flavors – Berry Ice (red), Mountain Blast (blue) and Orange Burst (orange) to encourage people to drink enough fluids in the form of a sports drink
Why are Electrolytes and Carbohydrates Important?
1. Electrolytes are ions which have special functions in our body. Powerade currently has two – sodium and potassium which help drive thirst and promotes water balance in your system.
2. These help prevent being short of breath and muscle cramps so in the end make you become your best self and do better.
3. Carbohydrates in sports drink, in the form of sugar, will give you sustained energy in your sports or exercise and keep those muscles working
4. Water alone will not provide these support to step-up your game and keep playing
5. Athlete can talk about his personal experience about it during practice/training and while at the game
Is Powerade and Energy Drinks the same?
Though almost all energy drinks give you the promise of feeling energetic and alive to do more, it does not really give your body electrolytes, which are necessary to keeping you hydrated. You may be able to get a kick out of energy drinks, but you will not have the sustained energy to be able to kick that extra goal unless you drink a sports drink like Powerade.
Why is it important not to get dehydrated?
Dehydration makes exercise feel harder because your heart has to beat faster to get the oxygen and fuel to your muscles that they need. Dehydration can also result in your body temperature increasing during exercise. Sports drinks such as Powerade help to keep your body cool during exercise.
To avoid dehydration and get the most out of yourself and your sports drink, you should drink before, during and after sport. Before sport it is important to hydrate yourself and get fluid into the body. Regular replacement of fluid is the main consideration during any sports event. This can be in the form of plain water for shorter bouts of exercise, but for longer events the fluid should also include small amounts of carbohydrate and electrolytes. Drinking it after a strenuous exercise will help you recover fast so you are ready for the next game.
How much should I drink to get hydrated?
Before you can win, you need to know how much you lose. Get on the scales. Weigh yourself, immediately before and after exercise, you’ll get a good idea of how much fluid you actually lose during exercise. The difference in weight is all the fluid you need to replace.
Any tips for people to get most out of their workout?
Don’t forget to stretch. Start and end your training sessions with stretching exercises to avoid any injuries. Injuries can have unfavorable effects on your training schedule and render you incapable to continue your bid to run.
Warm ups are important. After stretching at the start of your training session, proceed with a 5-10 minutes of warm up – either an easy jog or a walk would do. This will loosen up your leg muscles to achieve maximum efficiency in your actual training.
Acclimate gradually. During exercise, do not increase your speed instantly. You have to acclimate to the heat gradually and safely to warm-up and condition your body.
Dress light and loose. Wear lightweight, loose-fitting and light-colored clothing. Choose sports-specific synthetics over cotton. Tight clothing can be uncomfortable when damp with sweat and dark colors absorb the sun’s light and heat.
Get wet. Don’t forget to drink water to aid yourself in cooling your body during your runs. It’s also refreshing to pour cold water over your head especially when doing endurance training like running or biking long distances. It is more important to replenish lost fluids, carbohydrates and electrolytes with a Sports Drink like Powerade.